Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Friday, August 27, 2010

“Extreme Ways”

No, not by Moby - Jesus.

When christian marriages crash, the scenario almost always follows a similar path to the temptation of Christ.

Both partners are led into the desert - deep into the desert.
Harsh nights.
Danger lurking.
The Fasting turns to a starvation for love that seems to never end.

Unlike Jesus who turned to the Word for direction, people in failing marriages turn FROM His Word. Assuming their problems are God’s fault (Isn’t He supposed to protect us?), they try their own wisdom only to find their problems get even worse.

And then it happens -
satan makes his offer:
Let me provide for you.
Let me give you what you need.
Follow my direction (worship me) and I’ll give you everything you’ve ever wanted.

Too late do we say to God, in the words of a Buddy and Julie Miller song,
“You can have my heart if you don’t mind broken things.”

No comments:

Post a Comment