Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Peace!

Peace, Man”
Peace out.”
Peace to ya.”

It's coming back. The phrase that “my generation” made ubiquitous, is now being repeated by my grandchildren. “Peace.”

It's being said at a time in history, “when the third angel was given power to remove peace from the earth.” John's Revelation

Where is peace? How does one attain it? My generation thought, believed even, that drug induced feelings of peace and love were the real thing. Certainly they were more real than anything we'd found without chemicals.

Tragic but true.

And then, for some of us, we met The Prince of Peace. The One whose mission on planet earth entailed bringing Shalom. 

"Peace on earth to all those who please God." That line from Dr. Luke's biography of Jesus is oft repeated at Christmas. 'Peace on earth to all men . . .' Interesting how people almost always leave off the last and most critical part of the sentence - ' all men who please God.' And then they accuse Jesus of not bringing peace as promised.

By the grace of my Saviour I know shalom. I have shalom, but personally, I don't understand it.

Jesus said, “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in Me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

Jesus has done that for me and maybe that's why I don't understand it. Finding peace, possessing shalom had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with me. There was no effort on my part. It's a gift from Jesus to us.

"Suddenly, Jesus was standing there among them! “Peace be with you,” He said." John 20:19

At one point I didn't have Jesus and I didn't have peace. And then, Jesus had me and I had peace. It just happens. It just happens.

I am leaving you with a gift — peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid. John 14:27

O, and what a gift it is. There is none better.

Don't miss Jesus' offer.
It's for you!
Jesus died for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment