Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Friday, July 15, 2011

The Greatest Gift

The longer I live the more convinced I become that knowing God, having God reveal Himself to us is His greatest gift to humanity. For it is in knowing God that we come alive.

Sceptics see arrogance or need in God’s command for us to come to Him, to honour Him, to worship Him. In reality it is God’s love for us that causes Him to direct us to where we will find life and live it abundantly. The place where we are able to live life to the full is in an intimate, healed and forgiven relationship with our Creator.

“If you are thirsty for life, come to Me and you will never thirst again.”

Who would turn down an offer like that?

The people that I know who posses the most joy and peace and excitement about tomorrow are those who are in this type of relationship. I’m not taking about religious people. There are plenty of miserable people in Churches. In fact there are few ways of living that create more misery than pretending to be right with God. I’m talking about those who ARE right with God.

A Michael W. Smith song contains the line - “Everywhere I look I see You.”

We are with God in our relationships, in the outdoors, while reading His Word, while walking through trouble and sorrow. To know, to really know that He is always present and always ready to help fills one with gratitude and a deep desire to have more and more of what He has to offer.

This means of changing us (revealing Himself to us) never ends, and the glory of God in our lives only increases.

“But we all are being transformed from glory to glory, from level to level, just as from the Lord Jesus, by the Spirit.” (2nd Corinthians 3:18).

3 comments:

  1. That kind of post is both interesting and depressing.

    On the one hand, I applaud the positive view on life presented here. I really have no problem with people believing in God so I think it's great that it gives someone some happiness and a better life.

    On the other hand, I don't like the fact that it seems to imply that it's the only way to have the best life possible, as if not believing in God makes someone miss something.

    It's ironic because I feel the exact same thing. I feel like religion strips humans of some of the best feelings and awe in front of the universe one can have.

    I wish I could share some "intensively spiritual" moments I have as an atheist. It would be more positive and cheerful than the last comments I wrote ;-)

    ... but again I don't think you care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I don't like the fact that it seems to imply that it's the only way to have the best life possible, as if not believing in God makes someone miss something."

    It doesn't just imply this Hugo. It states it catagorically as a reality, as a fact.

    Jesus said, "I have come to earth so that you might live life to the full and that your level of joy can be maxed out."

    He delivers absolutely and completely on that promise.

    Like I said, every year since becoming a follower of Jesus has been better than the year before and I see no reason why that will ever stop. There have been times when the joy that Jesus has poured into me is so great that I've asked Him to stop and let me catch my breath.

    And I am NOT an emotional person. Because all of my worst decisions pre conversion were driven by emotion (mostly anger) I've taken great effort to rid myself of any extra emotion now. I puposely attend congregations that eschew emotion. Our feelings lie and they lie frequently. Nevertheless, a relationship with Jesus brings with it a peace that truly is beyond understanding.

    You can't know this because you've only experienced one dimension of life. I and most other Christians have been on both sides.

    No one is saying that pagans can't experience joy and peace and excitement about life and the wonders of the universe. These are traits and abilities that are given to every human created in the image of their Creator. It's just that whatever level of joy and peace you experience, has only a fraction of the depth that comes with a healed relationship with your Creator.

    You can disagree if you want but your opinion carries the same weight as if you were describing for me the taste of MY orange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't know this because you've only experienced one dimension of life. I and most other Christians have been on both sides.

    *sigh* I agree with almost everything you write in this post and I do understand everything you write in this post.

    However, you are completely wrong concerning these 2 sentences that summarize exactly why I find your faith so arrogant. Not arrogant in the sense that you think you are the best and brag about it; it's arrogant because it pretends to know both "sides".

    ... but again, you don't care!

    ReplyDelete