Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Monday, April 25, 2011

What's An Atheist To Do?

A while back I posted a comment by quantum physicist Paul Davies. The thesis statement was, “The seemingly miraculous concurrence of these numerical values (Fine Tuning of the universe) must remain the most compelling evidence for cosmic design.”

In rebuttal, Hugo the atheist posted another comment by the same man. The main point of that comment said, “I am uncomfortable even being linked with "a god" because of the vast baggage that this term implies (a being with a mind, able to act on matter within time, making decisions, etc).”

You can find both comments in their whole at:
http://thesauros-store.blogspot.com/2011/03/it-is-hard-to-resist-impression-that.html
Hugo’s comment / quotation is comment #19.


Anyhow, I asked Hugo what the combination of these two comments meant to him. To date I’ve received no reply so I’ll post what the two comments together mean to me.


Mr. Davies is saying, “We have compelling evidence for cosmic design. However, as an atheist I must remain committed to materialism / naturalism. Even though I call myself a scientist who prefers to not deal in belief, my a priori belief that there is no god forces me to ignore compelling evidence for design and remain closed minded. Like Francis Crick and other experts in DNA / RNA research, we in quantum physics must “continually tell ourselves that what we are seeing was not designed.” Because the consequences of following the evidence would be devastating for my relationship with my peers, i.e. I’d be mocked and ridiculed, I must cling firmly to my faith system in spite of the evidence. I must do this because the metaphysical implications of a universe with a Designer would destroy what I desperately want to believe. This whole god business makes me very uncomfortable.”

3 comments:

  1. You suck at mind reading!

    Obviously you don't care what it meant to put these two quotes next to each other. You prefer to invent an argument... well so be it. I will let you believe that you are right instead of giving you my real opinion. You seem to appreciate the feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so you’re still around. I thought maybe you and your girlfriend were out caring for the 100,000,000 Dalits that Hindus are infamous for rejecting - of course your girlfriend is not like that. She and her family probably have two or three Dalits living with them right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting sarcastic comment; it taught me that 'Dalit' is another word for 'Untouchables'.

    Unfortunately, you are right; several Hindus still adhere to the caste system. It shows how some supertitious ideas can lead to terrible consequences.

    In any case, I told you what my gf's family do for poor people in their community; perhaps you forgot? you would not mock on purpose like that?

    ReplyDelete