Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Best Wedding Ever

What an awesome weekend! Our oldest daughter (33) got married to a man she met on her home Reserve. After many years of really hard living on the part of both of them, they recently became followers of Jesus.

The Church they’re attending on the First Nation is right out of Luke’s description of the early Church in Acts. At the reception it was testimony after testimony after testimony of the changes wrought by Jesus in the lives of fellow believers. It was so wonderful to hear an almost complete lack of pretense and pride.

“My life since Jesus got me out of prostitution . . .”

“My days of alcoholism and addiction to pills was so damaging to my family but Jesus took all that away.”

“Since coming to Jesus I no longer hurt my children . . .”

I promise, nobody in our congregation would come anywhere close to that kind of honesty. We're as spiritually constipated as congregations get.

Anyhow, our daughter and her husband have surrounded themselves with really good Christian friends. The congregation all put together enough funds to put on this wedding “for them.” That’s supposed to be our job - the bride's parents. The thing is, our daughter phoned us on Friday and said, “I’m getting married on Saturday. Can you guys make it?”

And THAT is FASD brain damage - a complete lack of organisational skills.

After driving for 4 ½ hours on Friday to get there, my wife and daughter met at 4:30 - half an hour before the wedding dress store closed and found a dress (the most beautiful wedding dress I’ve ever seen) for $300.00. The owner of the store stayed into the night to do the alterations and we picked it up Saturday morning. Her new Christian friends decorated the Church and they all got together and brought enough food to feed a small army. The Pastor gave one of the best messages on marriage that I’ve ever heard and, well, someday, the rest will be history.

Why did they get married? They’ve been living together for seven years. As they both said, “We’ve been praying about it and the Holy Spirit simply wouldn't let us alone. He placed it heavily upon our hearts that living common-law is just not ok. We're to be committed to each other just as He is committed to us.

The energy and excitement of new Christians is always fun to watch. I pray that God blesses them both and uses them to make positive changes in what is in reality a very spiritually and emotionally sick environment.

It’s been awhile since I’ve been this happy.

Did I mention that this was the best wedding ever?

No comments:

Post a Comment