Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Monday, May 30, 2011

Oh to be like Caleb!

In the book of Joshua we have the story of a man named Caleb. The Israelites we moving into the Promised Land. To the herders and farmers the valley with it’s conquered territory seemed a logical choice.

For the domesticated, maybe.

A man named Caleb, an old man named Caleb said to Joshua, “Give me the highland with its fortified and walled cities. I will destroy them with my men. I may be eighty-five but I’m as strong as I was when I was forty-five.”

No retirement for Caleb. Life had purpose until the day he died.

I hope to model his attitude sans the killing. I’m sixty and stronger and healthier than when I was forty-five. What’s more, I have the most important work of my life ahead of me. Five kids that have been rescued by God. Five kids who were destined for the dump, prison, drugs, welfare.

For myself, retired at age fifty-one, I was headed for winters in Mexico and Aruba and God said, “Are you kidding Me? You were destined to do something important with your life. Now get to it.”

Oh to be like Caleb!

No comments:

Post a Comment