Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

School Nurse?

Remember when they used to have nurses at schools? My son came home today with a big bandage on his arm and an even bigger one on his hip.

“What happened to you?”

“I got scraped on the tarmac.”

“Did you trip?”

“Nope.”

“Did someone push you?”

“Nope.”

“Well what happened?”

“I just fell over, and the Principal bandaged me up.”

Yep, that’s right. It’s now the Principal's job to wash and bandage the wounded. Sure, this incident turned out alright but the fact is, School Nurses can be life savers. Let me give you an example.

One day, waaaay back in grade 12, I’d skipped choir which was the last period of the day. We’d driven to a park on a beautiful summer day and just laid there smokin dope and watched women play tennis. I came back to school just in time to pop a mint in my mouth, grab my stuff and head home. As I was going out the door the teacher grabbed my arm and demanded to know why I wasn’t at practise. In my best hoarse voice I said,
“I’ve got a sore throat. My eyes are sore. It must be allergies.”

“Come with me.”

Oh, oh. We were heading to the nurse’s office. My heart sank as he opened the door -

‘Shoot! She hasn’t gone home yet.’

“This kid says he has a sore throat. Take a look.”

Well, that little angel took her light thingy, peered into my mouth, looked back at Mr. Cowly and said,

“Ya, it’s really inflamed.”

In a perfectly clear voice that no one seemed to notice, and with just the tiniest hint of outrage I said, “That’s exactly right. I gotta go.”

School nurses. We need em.

No comments:

Post a Comment