Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Thursday, May 26, 2011

I’m Just Auditing Thank You

That’s a line from Bill Maher when describing Christians who don’t seem to have the faith to follow the teachings of Jesus.

Bill Maher - Youtube - New Rule monologue.

Of course, as an atheist he manages to mess up some of the theology in a grotesque manner but most of it is pretty bang on.

Anyhow, the fact is, we all rely on faith. We all trust some people based upon their record of dependability. For example:
. The captain of a ship hands the well-being of h/her ship over to a harbour pilot. S/he has faith in the person's ability.

. We’ve trusted a guide to get us through difficult and confusing terrain.

. We trust a doctor just before s/he renders us unconscious. The statement “I’ve put my faith in the doctor,” would be ridiculous if we refused to let h/her operate on us.

The best line that I heard Maher say in his shtick was something like, “If you say you’re following Jesus, or learning from Jesus yet you don’t do what Jesus tells you to do, in reality, you’re just auditing."

My experience has been that Jesus is totally and completely trustworthy. He has never ever, not even once in thirty years let me down or broken a promise. While I have been guilty of ignoring His directives, I’ve never doubted the fact that He is indeed The Way, The Truth, and The Life.

My desire to follow Him is the real deal. I’m not just auditing.

No comments:

Post a Comment