Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Results of Believing in Jesus

Hugo has told me that being an atheist entails nothing more than not believing in God. According to Hugo there are no implications of being an atheist regarding how he lives. Not socially, economically, or relationally. Being an atheist does not influence ANY area of his life.
Well he and other atheists can live with their fantasy, but I'll tell you this, believing in, loving and following Jesus (God) entails far, far more than a mere belief. For example:
To believe in Jesus is the know Jesus, and to know Jesus is to love Jesus. Believing in Jesus IS the reason for what I do with my thoughts and behaviours. It's the reason that I desire what I desire and hate what I hate. My belief in and love for Jesus determines how I treat my wife and kids. It's the reason for how I do my job and it determines how I use my finances. My relationship with Jesus shapes the way I view my possessions, position and power. Belief in Jesus molds my relationship with my extended family and neighbours. My love of Jesus determines the way I live as a citizen of my country, my city and my community. My relationship with Jesus provides for me hope in difficulty, and brings me joy in what would otherwise be my darkest moments. Belief in Jesus gives me a self-awareness that allows for inner change. It brings remorse for sin and desire for sanctification. A love for Jesus creates in me a tenderness toward those who are hurting, courage in times of testing, and wisdom to know the difference between life-enhancing and life-destroying behaviours and thoughts.
Anyone who is not in a forgiven and healed relationship with Jesus is a profoundly stunted human being - emotionally, mentally and spiritually. S/he may be intelligent but one doesn't have to observe humanity for very long before noticing that intelligence is no protection against thoughts and behaviours that are destructive to self and others.
When a belief in God is absent, it leads first to an infatuation, a love, an obsession with self. Those like Hugo who do not live for God, are doomed to live for self in every way possible.
A high opinion of self is present in every person who denies the existence of God. It is this corrupted self-love that is the reason that atheists desire what they desire and hate what they hate. Their love of self determines how atheists treat their wife and kids. It's the reason for how they do their job and it determines how they use their finances. The atheist's denial of any power greater than self shapes the way s/he views h/her possessions, position and power. Corrupted self-love molds the atheist's relationship with extended family and neighbours. Their obsession with self determines the way they live as a citizen of their country, their city and their community. Corrupted self-love allows 25,000 children to die every single day from preventable causes. The atheist's trust in self provides zero hope in difficulty, for what will you turn to for help if not to that which is stronger than yourself? The atheist has only h/her own resources to bring joy in their darkest moments.
A denial of Creator God and a lack of His presence in their life also denies the atheist a self-awareness that allows for inner change. This lack of self-awareness condemns atheists to thinking that they are good people. The atheist slogan, "I don't need God in order to be a good person," condemns the atheist to believing that s/he IS a good person. For to admit that one is not good is to admit that one needs help that is both external and greater. This blindness to the reality of self is perhaps the most dangerous implication of denying the existence of Creator God. It causes the atheist to wink at sin and in many if not most cases causes the atheist to celebrate the very behaviours that will bring h/her nation to its knees. In this sense atheism is a disease much like cancer - X 10. A disease that kills a person is bad enough, but a disease that kills a person while making that person feel sanctimonious and like a “Bright” for having it is far, far worse.
A denial of the existence of God and the required implication of rejecting objective morals, values, duties and obligations renders the atheist immune to knowing the difference between life-enhancing and life-destroying behaviours and thoughts. The atheist is doomed to following the ebb and flow of the whims of society.
Anyone who is not in a forgiven and healed relationship with Jesus is a profoundly handicapped human being, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. S/he may be intelligent, but one doesn't have to observe very long before noticing that intelligence is no protection from behaviours that are destructive to self and others.
Especially when one is so foolish as to claim that our thoughts and beliefs carry with them no implications and consequences.

2 comments:

  1. Hugo has told me that being an atheist entails nothing more than not believing in God. According to Hugo there are no implications of being an atheist regarding how he lives. Not socially, economically, or relationally. Being an atheist does not influence ANY area of his life.

    You are mistaken. Atheism does not imply anything else, by definition, because it does not imply any other beliefs: it is a disbelief. That does not mean, and I would never claim, that my thoughts and beliefs carry with them no implications and consequences.

    Thoughts and beliefs inform action and there is actually nothing that matters more!

    The other confusion is I believe related to the fact that you cannot tell much about someone if they tell you that they are an atheist, or not, without knowing anything else. That is also a fact. In that sense, believing in gods or not has no implication at all since you have to know more about the person's values, thoughts, opinions and actions to really understand where that person stands.

    Your over-simplification of the situation and bigot attitude, which makes you attack a group of people solely based on 1 thing, tells a lot your own incapacity to remain civil and appreciative of your "neighbors", be it real or virtual ones.

    Labeling Atheists as...

    "stunted human being - emotionally, mentally and spiritually",
    or having "an obsession with self",
    or having "only h/her own resources to bring joy in their darkest moments"
    or lacking "self-awareness that allows for inner change"
    or "immune to knowing the difference between life-enhancing and life-destroying behaviours and thoughts".
    or "profoundly handicapped human being, emotionally, mentally and spiritually"
    and worst of all: foolish as to claim that our thoughts and beliefs carry with them no implications and consequences.

    ...serves no useful purpose but to expose your own hatred: the very hatred you are suppose to suppress as a follower of Jesus, someone who pretends that his inner "God" voice is so remarkably life changing that it can make him a 'real' human being.

    I was wondering how long it would take before you fall back to being a bigot again after being nice recently. I guess I got my answer this morning!

    Take care Rod. I was planning to take a break from blogs for 2013 so I think it's a great moment to do so. I will keep reading you so please keep being entertaining like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Thoughts and beliefs inform action and there is actually nothing that matters more!”

    Exactly. And the denial of what your heart and mind knows to be true is not just a Non Belief. It's a rejection of who you are and what you were meant to be. To tell yourself the prime implication of atheism i.e. That there is no greater authority than human kind – or if you like – the human mind (when your heart and mind know that objective moral laws exist) has and does carry with it the enormous potential for harm to self and others.
    =====

    “you have to know more about the person's values, thoughts, opinions and actions to really understand where that person stands.”

    You have to know the ORIGIN of the person's values, thoughts, opinions and actions. Simply knowing that you're dealing with human nature which is corrupt enough to twist the most sublime philosophy on earth (the teaching of Jesus) is enough to warrant remaining on guard and taking off the rose coloured glasses. Once you know that the individual is also an atheist and that on atheism one's ideas of right and wrong are believed to originate in the individual, you know enough to be on guard to a far greater extent.

    As C.S. Lewis said upon his conversion from atheism to Christianity - "I examined myself with a seriously practical purpose. And there I found what appalled me; a zoo of lusts, a bedlam of ambitions, a nursery of fears, a hareem of fondled hatreds.”

    One of the main reasons, I think, that atheists are the least trusted group in North America is because the majority of people HAVE caught a glimpse of the horror who they really are. Once that has happened those people are loath to trust those who appear intentionally blind to their true nature.
    ======

    “Labeling Atheists as...
    "stunted human being - emotionally, mentally and spiritually",
    or having "an obsession with self",
    or having "only h/her own resources to bring joy in their darkest moments"
    or lacking "self-awareness that allows for inner change"
    or "immune to knowing the difference between life-enhancing and life-destroying behaviours and thoughts".
    or "profoundly handicapped human being, emotionally, mentally and spiritually"

    Hugo, this list of characteristics describes human beings. Not just atheists, but all of us. My experience, and the experience of a couple billion other people has been that without the input of our Creator, these characteristics can:
    . only be modified to a minute degree,
    . only with immense effort and
    . only for a short period of time.

    Hence, atheists remain less than we were meant to be, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.

    Since I've included myself in this category of characteristics, you can hardly label my comments as conveying hatred. And it's hardly bigotry when I've included every human ever born.

    Like I said, any given Christian (me included) is not necessarily better than any given atheist. None of us come out of the same starting gate. However, because of the life changing Spirit that is infused within a follower of Jesus, we ARE better than we were before Jesus came into our lives.

    ReplyDelete