Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Monday, September 30, 2013

I'm In Trouble

You see, the thing is, I dislike people. Not just some people. All people. I loathe and despise humanity. We are so unbelievably stupid it makes me want to scream.
So what's the problem?
Well, I'm a counsellor. I'm supposed to love people. To be honest, I am able to present micro bursts of genuine compassion. You know, 45 minutes, or an hour if the session runs a bit long. I do care about people who are experiencing relational pain. I do. But when they cling with tenacity to the very patterns of thinking and behaving that brought them to counselling in the first place – the very patterns that are destroying their lives – Arrrrrgh!
It's worse than that though.
You see, Jesus loves people. He loves us with an incomprehensible love. A love so far beyond what we can experience or display that it's impossible to even describe. And I'm supposed to be like Jesus. I WANT to be like Jesus. I want to love others like Jesus loves others.
And then I encounter Pastors who listen to heathens and Pagans who say that their sin is not sin and the Pastors think, “Well, maybe they're right. Maybe the Bible is wrong.” The Pastor's desire to receive the praise of men rather than the approval of God; the Pastor's desire to trade eternity in paradise for 80 years of nothing in comparison, well, the degree of stupidity present in humans (and I'm just as stupid as everyone else) makes me so very disappointed in who we are.
Do you see the problem here?
Lord Jesus please help me to see people as you see people.”

No comments:

Post a Comment