Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Friday, September 7, 2012

Offend God?


In reality, God is always and only the most offended party when we do wrong. That is why King David said, “Against you and you alone have I sinned.” 
He'd been screwing around with his neighbour’s wife. 
He killed her husband. 
He lied about the whole deal. And then,
Against You only have I sinned.”
David realised the truth that no matter what the sin, the most offended party is always God because it’s our rebellion against Him and our breaking of His rules that has turned our world into a wasteland of hatred and violence and corruption.
Because of that, and the Bible says this from cover to cover, our greatest need is for the forgiveness from our Creator, a forgiveness that has been provided for us through faith in the saving works of Jesus’ death and resurrection.
This is sometimes hard for us to grasp. I know from my own life that I am far more ashamed of what my friends know about me - the stupid stuff I did back in my school days, the cruel and insensitive stuff I’ve said and done over the years, than what God knows about me. Yet any guilt that I carry I carry because of how I’ve treated my Lord and Saviour, my Creator and King.
Unless and until I / we deal with that offence, our relationship with our Creator will be much less than it’s meant to be. And really, why would we want anything less? Our Creator, the Creator of the universe wants to have a genuine, open, honest relationship with us.
Who in their right mind would avoid an opportunity like that?
Religion won’t get us there.
Repeating a rosary or saying Hail Mary's over and over again won’t get us there.
Doing good works won’t get us there.
Only and confessional, non hypocritical, repentant and forgiven relationship will bring us into a saving relationship with God our Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment