Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Monday, September 24, 2012

Why Won't Jesus Appear Just For Me?


I heard that yet again on some atheist phone in show. I can't remember the name of the program. It's got two guys sitting on the couch with microphones and headphones. At first I thought they were going to play Wii Karaoke. Definitely low budget. Anyway, one of them was bemoaning the fact that Jesus would appear to some people and not to him. 
At least he's admitting that Jesus appeared to over 500 people on several occasions in different places, at different times of day, and in different circumstances after his resurrection. 
I wish I'd kept track, down through the years, of how many times I've heard an atheist complain about this.
It's an important issue. The question needs to be asked, Why one and not the other? Why him and not me?
If I was talking to couch-guy, I'd refer him to the reason Jesus gave when His disciples asked, “Why do you take the time to explain Your parables to us and not to everyone." Luke 8:9ff 
Or take John 14:22 “Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, “But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us [when you rise from the dead] and not to the world?”
That's a good question.
It's no different than when Christians ask, “Why me Lord? Why did you select me for salvation?” Or as King David wrote, “Who am I and what is my family that You would even consider us?”
The short answer to both Christians and the guys on the couch, “It's His prerogative. He can do whatever He wants with whomever He wants, and because He is fair and just and the very definition of Love, when we find out the reason for why this and not that, it will make sense.
It's as if God is saying:
- Humans will know My Justice because they know in their hearts that rebellion against Me is wrong. Those who continue in their rebellion will die spiritually and eternally.
. Because all will be born into a state of rebellion, it is only My Grace that will ensure that some humans get what they don’t deserve (life in eternal paradise) while My Mercy will ensure that those same humans don’t get what they do deserve (eternal separation from Me).
- They will know My Patience because I will persist in blessing those who continue in evil, until all those who are going to receive My merciful salvation have turned from their rebellion.
- They will know My Love in that I, in the form of My Son, will forgive evil by taking my own punishment and suffering my own wrath for the horrible act of continued rebellion against a Creator God who is perfectly pure, holy, righteous, just, merciful, slow to anger, filled with great patience, filled with grace and abounding in Love.
. I will rescue those who are not looking for Me, love those who hate Me, and make peace with those who are My enemies.
. The rebellious cannot complain because they are in fact guilty of rebellion.
. The saved cannot boast because they have done nothing to deserve salvation.

And as to the atheist(s) on the couch who wonders, “Why wouldn't God want a wonderful guy like me to spend eternity with Him?” The answer is, It's quite possible that God is using your rebellion as an example of His Justice (Check out Romans 9:22-24).
Although it needn't be that way. After all, your Creator has given you an out and He's done it at His own expense.
Your debt has been paid. All you need to do is sign for it.
What kind of person would pass up that opportunity?

No comments:

Post a Comment