Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Who Am I – Really?

Oh baby! Do atheists ever hate to hear a Christian's description of who humans are at their core.

If we say that we have no sin, we are lying to ourselves and the truth is not in us.”

That was written by a man who was a disciple, student and follower of Jesus. “We have erred, strayed from Your ways, just like lost sheep. Worse still, we are often purposely lost. There is no one who is righteous, not a single person. We are miserable offenders. Even our best works are nothing but dressed up sins.”

Most people find it difficult to admit to these truths, because that is where they stop. They refuse to meditate on why God insists that we admit who we really are. For if we can't or won't admit that we are in need of forgiveness, we will be incapable of recognizing and receiving the good news of Jesus' offer of salvation.

Those who lie to themselves about being good are also, to a person, those who reject Jesus. They reject Him as Creator, Saviour and Lord. They are self-righteous with no perception that they are “wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and spiritually naked.”

There is good news in accepting my fallen nature. That good news comes in the fact that it no longer matters. 
I'm saved. 
I'm free. 
I'm forgiven. 
I have no need to dwell on my past. I have no need for self-transformation or endless efforts at self-improvement. Jesus has taken care of it all. The focus is taken completely off of me and it is placed where it belongs. On Jesus the Christ. 

Who am I really? A sinner, saved by Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment