Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Love Was Here First

Most everyone knows that one of the ways that Christians describe God, and one of the ways that God describes Himself is:

God is Love.

Before the material universe existed - there was Love.

Have you given that any thought? I ask because for love to exist, there needs to be “someone” to love. For love to exist there must be an “other” onto which that love is projected. In the very being of God, a self-existent One loves the other aspects of that One. God the Father loves God the Son who loves God the Spirit who loves God the Father . . .. (See John 14).

“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.”
Deuteronomy 6:4

God the Father is infinite.
God the Son is infinite
God the Spirit is infinite
Infinity plus Infinity plus Infinity equals one Infinte Being

We as Christians are to model our love for one another upon the love that is shared within the Trinity.

We as Christians are to model our love for one another upon the love that God showers upon us.


As humans we look at the object of our love and think something like this. “I’m attracted to your smile. I’m drawn to your generosity and your vitality and the way you approach life. I think you’re fantastically physically attractive. I admire your intellect. It makes me feel good to be around you. You make me feel happy and alive and important. Because other people like you it gives me status to be with you. Because of these things and more, I love you.

As the very essence of Love, Creator God looks at us and says, “You’re angry and resentful and self-centred and self-obsessed. You reject My love. You reject My offer of salvation. You disobey Me and choose behaviours that are destructive to your selves, your relationships with others and to the very planet upon which you live. You set yourself up as gods and in some cases, as with atheists, you even deny that I exist.

I give you hands that work perfectly, picking up, turning things off and on, fixing, adjusting, caressing, creating and exploring with exquisite dexterity, yet you use them to harm other humans, to steal and kill and destroy.

I give you mouths with the ability to sound out words, taste foods, sense temperature and texture with extraordinary sensitivity; mouths and vocal cords that can moan, cry and sing, yet you use them to curse and harm and destroy those you claim to love.

I give you eyes that can communicate emotion and explore the majestic beauty of Creation, yet you use them to lust and covet and intimidate and demean.

I cause you to be born in an unimaginably huge and hostile universe on this little jewel of a planet, yet you pretend that everything material came from literally nothing material - without any cause whatsoever.

I’ve given you more food than you can eat; as much money as you need, and a health care system that many cannot even conceive of, yet you refuse to share that wealth with others to the point that 25,000 children die every day from causes that could be prevented if only you weren’t so selfish.

You don’t seem to consider what kind of a person would take all of these gifts and still curse the God who gave it all to them.

You don’t seem to think it odd that you don’t demand an answer from Me as to why I’m so good to you even when you hate Me, ignore Me, reject Me and hate those who love Me.

And yet, I love you. I love you so much that I died for you not after you turned to me for forgiveness but while you were still sinners. I love you so much that I died for you while you were still determined to remain My enemies.”

Yes we are now existing in a point of history where there seems to be precious little love; where even the love of believers seems to be growing cold.

The good news is:
. Love was here first
. Love will remain even after those who fight against love have been removed from the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment