Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Friday, January 7, 2011

There’s No Rest For the Wicked

Have you heard that line? It’s from Revelation and it’s describing those in hell. It seems as though our culture is trying to bring to us hell on earth.

Don’t you know?

The busier you are the more worth and value you have. You can tell this is true by the way people brag about how exhausted they are or by how they describe with a phony whine about how little time they have to relax.

“So, you keeping busy?”

It’s asked by those who think that resting might be some sign of doing something wrong.

Jesus said, “I will give you rest for your souls.”

Who does He think He is? What would happen to the economy if people rested?

“Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid” John 14:27.

Peace is a condition of the body, and until peace has enveloped our body it has not enveloped us. I believe the texting option on cell phones - and cell phones themselves - was invented because psychologists (those that work for companies) know that humans are terrified of solitude, silence and rest.

In a world like ours, inner peace is something that must be cultivated, sought after, searched for. Our bodies must be physically separated from the constant noise that passes for something important. The “need” to achieve and produce and to take control is a cultural lie that has been foisted upon the masses. I know this from my first go-round as a dad. All I did was work and my family, as have countless other families paid the price.

One of the most vital commandments ever given was to take a Sabbath Day of Rest. We need to take a day to put commerce in perspective; a day to put the love of money in its proper place.
Instead the pagan world pushes for unrest and hurry and a frantic pace.

“I lie down and sleep in peace because you alone O Lord provide for my safety.”

I work with people every day who purposely deprive themselves of proper rest. Because of it their minds are susceptible to temptation and slavery to all manner of self-destructive devices.

Living a life of Sabbath rest is really a life lived in the trust of the Lord. A life of Sabbath rest is a life lived in worship; for only real worship of Christ the King can bring peace and joy and rest for the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment