Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Hardest Thing

There is almost nothing more difficult than to help an individual let go of past hurt. Clients can go on for hours about the wrong that’s been done to them.
Broken arms.
Smashed noses.
Betrayal in all shapes and sizes.
Crushed dreams and stolen hope.
These things are like hooks through the jaw, like being shackled to the wall. Progress seems almost impossible as long as the focus remains in the past.
When I begin to move a client toward contemplating a different course of action, I often hear, “But you don’t know how awful it’s been.”

No, no I don’t. But this I do know. I know that if you don’t begin to think and do things in a different manner than you're thinking and doing today, your tomorrow stands no chance of being any better than your yesterday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment