Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Friday, March 11, 2011

“The road I’ve travelled is pockmarked by disastrous victories and magnificent defeats, soul-diminishing successes and life-enhancing failures. Seasons of fidelity and betrayal, periods of consolation and desolation, zeal and apathy are not unknown to me.

And there have been times . . .
When the felt presence of God was more real to me than the chair I am sitting on;
When the Word ricocheted like lightening in every corner of my soul;
When a storm of desire carried me to places I had never visited.

And then there have been other times . . .
When I identified with the words of Mae West: “I used to be Snow White - but I drifted;”
When the Word was as stale as old ice cream and as bland as tame sausage;
When the fire in my belly flickered and died;
When I mistook dried-up enthusiasm for gray-haired wisdom;
When I dismissed youthful idealism as mere naivete;
When I preferred cheap slivers of glass to the pearl of great price.”
Brennan Manning.

No comments:

Post a Comment