Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Friday, June 24, 2011

Atheists and a Culture of Proud

Can you imagine how much pride a person must have to think that s/he is not part of the problem that inflicts the world? Atheists like Hitchens and Dawkins actually believe that the world’s problems are caused, not by corrupt humans, but by religion, or the wrong political party or - well -pick something.

You can pick anything but yourself because to pick yourself might damage your precious pride. The multi-divorced Dawkins and the drunken Hitchens are so blinded by pride that they actually absolve themselves from what’s wrong with the world. They actually believe the world would be better if people thought / acted like they did and believed what they believe.

And contrary to what most atheists would like to think, I do NOT believe the world would be better off if people thought / acted like me or believed what I believe. I agree with G. K. that what’s wrong with the world IS me. Not because of my religion but because I am a human whose character, like all other humans is hopelessly lost.

On the other hand, I do think the world would be better off if people thought / acted like Jesus and believed what He taught; believed to the point of taking on the character of Jesus through the indwelling of His Holy Spirit.

I’ve written on how the atheist Hugo would love me to wear the shackles of pride.

Instead I’m thinking, ‘If only I could shake off pride completely!’
And why would I want to get rid of pride? Because I love freedom.
The fact is, it’s only the humble who know freedom.

“God opposes the proud but gives His grace to the humble. Humble yourselves therefore under God’s mighty hand so that at just the right time He will lift you up. Cast all your anxiety and worries upon Him because He cares about you.” 1st Peter 5:5-7. Next to John 3:16 I think this is the most important verse in the Bible.

. Where ever you find anxiety or worry you’ll find a person trying to be self-sufficient.

. Where ever you find someone troubled by fear, you’ve found someone trying to act independent of God.

. Where ever you find worry or anxiety you’ll find at the root a person with too much pride to obey God.

And that’s what Hugo the atheist wants for me.
Gee, thanks a lot.

Jesus’ solution on the other hand is to give me a life of peace and joy and a life that is free from worry.

Jesus promises to give to me His grace - His Grace! - and all I have to do is humble myself by doing what?
By working harder?
By striving longer?
By carrying a bigger load?

Ha! Of course not.

Jesus promises to give to me His Grace if I let Him - did you get that? - if I let Him do all the work.

“Throw your cares and anxiety and worry and problems at Me and let Me carry them.
Uhmmm o- - -k.

Jesus says, “Humble yourself by admitting that you aren’t in control and I’ll prove to you that I care about you by making your life run as smoothly as life in this fallen world can run.”

Hugo says that my faith in Jesus, that depending on Him as my guide isn’t like a mechanical guidance system (see my post “Yellow Submarine) because it hasn’t been tested. What a preposterous statement! The faith of Christians has been tried, tested and found eminently reliable 100's of billions of times.

. Humble myself, reject pride and quit stealing glory from where it’s due, and in return I’m given joy and peace and freedom that is good beyond description.
. Humble myself, reject pride, and in return I’m given a life where good comes out of any and every situation.

And THAT is what Hugo would like me to give up so that I can adopt his proud self-sufficiency.

Good grief what a stupid idea!

I’ve left the atheist’s culture of pride and I ain’t never coming back.

1 comment:

  1. And contrary to what most atheists would like to think, I do NOT believe the world would be better off if people thought / acted like me or believed what I believe. I agree with G. K. that what’s wrong with the world IS me. Not because of my religion but because I am a human whose character, like all other humans is hopelessly lost.

    On the other hand, I do think the world would be better off if people thought / acted like Jesus and believed what He taught; believed to the point of taking on the character of Jesus through the indwelling of His Holy Spirit.


    Wow, I should have read this post before posting the other comment I think, because this is even more astounding!

    How can you be so wrong? How can you NOT understand the people you disagree with? I really don't understand how such a good person can see such evil in others only because they don't believe in the same God.

    Atheists, at least I, and alllll the others that I know, think exactly the opposite of what you wrote here. I don't think that people should act like me, I just want people to respect others, you know, act like Jesus!

    I don't get it seriously. Are you playing a game or something? Are you trying to annoy me or other atheists on purpose or you just really don't understand anything of what I write or what others write and say? You really don't understand what people dislike about religion?

    ReplyDelete