Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Monday, June 6, 2011

Uh Oh

Did you read the actual paper?

Um - no. I stole this chart from someone else. Bad idea huh? Anyway, to me it doesn’t matter and I say why in the last paragraph of that post.
=====

Wait, what? Who said that it was a trivial game to see if God existed?

We come to God on His terms, not through some game whereby even if you did have evidence, like a life-sustaining universe you’d still to your old beliefs.
=====

“you are basically using your thought process to determine what the Bible "should" say.”

Are you suggesting that the Bible is all one genre of literature.
=====

“Jesus is love, hope, forgiveness, ...,”

That’s part of who He is.
=====
"Do you know how this sounds to me? I know what God wants; I think like God?"

Ya I know how it sounds to you, but that’s just ignorance on your part. Eg. Within the context of what I’m saying - God thinks murder is wrong. If you think murder is wrong then you think like God. God thinks stealing is wrong. If you think stealing is wrong you think like God. After 30 years of following Jesus, reading His Word, listening to His leading, I honestly can’t think of one area where I don’t agree with what God says in His Word. That’s not equating myself with God. It’s just saying that I agree with Him about life, sin, salvation etc. etc. I want what He wants. His will is my will.
=====

“I understand that when you believe, certain thoughts, certain ideas, certain things you read in the Bible, make more sense to you than to me, and especially have more meaning.”

I don't think you do understand. Believing isn't some decision that I've made. "Oh ok, I guess I'll decide to believe this but not that." When I say that I believe in God / Jesus I mean that I can’t NOT believe in Him. Just like you can’t make yourself believe in Creator God, He is so real to me that I can’t make myself not believe in Him. I could ignore Him, refuse to listen to Him, reject His authority. But not believe in Him? That is no longer an option for me.

When a person accepts God on His terms, He opens up the meaning of Scripture. Before that, it’s just words - some of them very poetic or interesting but still, just words. After conversion, God allows the meaning to come forth.
=====

“Does the Holy Spirit writes stuff in it and then tell you 'look what I just put', or does the Holy Spirit waits for you to generate ideas, and then tell you 'pick that one'.”

I don’t know. For example - “Love your enemy.” Before knowing Jesus those are words that may strike someone as stupid.
To another it’s weakness.
To another they’re something impossible.
To another a lofty ideal but not realistic.
To another a behaviour but not a feeling.
To another the words are a challenge.

There could be more options but before Jesus’ Spirit enters a person, they are basically words and nothing more. Nothing to take too seriously.
After Jesus’ Spirit begins guiding, counselling, correcting etc., to love one’s enemies starts to take on a whole new meaning; it starts to make sense. Jesus opens one’s eyes to see how loving one’s enemies fits in with all the other stuff that He says - they’re no longer just words.

Is the meaning something that's been “put in” or “selected” from my own thought process? I don’t know. To me it doesn’t matter. All I know is that after repenting, the sanctification process, the transformation process, the change process begins. Before I became a Christian I didn't see any need for change. After salvation I couldn't see how I could remain the same. That seems like something that was "put in" but in the end I don't care.
=====

No comments:

Post a Comment