Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Atheists and No Rest For The Wicked

Have you read that verse in the Bible? It is so true. And how could it not be true? For those who reject God’s presence in their lives, those who advocate self-sufficiency, those people must never cease from work, from worry, from making sure everything in their lives is working properly. That’s a tough job. Close your eyes for a moment and something might go wrong.

Hugo the atheist wants that kind of life for me. Become self-sufficient and be proud of yourself. That’s his advice.

On the other hand, Jesus says, “Come to Me all of you who are weary and are carrying a heavy load and I will give you rest for your souls.”

Hmm, work endlessly or relax. Which would you want?

Because of five decades of arthritis, I have a GOOD bed.
It’s big.
It’s high.
It’s just the right firmness.
The support that my bed gives to me is - well - perfect.
It gives me as good a rest as any bed possible.

That’s just like Jesus.
I can rest the full weight of my life upon Jesus and trust without measure in His ability and willingness to support me. I can relax fully because the rest for my soul that Jesus provides requires no effort to support or sustain myself. He does it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment