Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Don’t Do The Crime

Imagine that you’re a Judge, a Magistrate. You sit in the Court of the land and wield power and consequence over people’s lives. You dispense justice to those who stand before you, guilty as charged.

Your own life however is not free from the consequence of crime. One day, your Son is taken from your backyard. All the worst is done to him. His bruised and beaten body is found a week later. It had been thrown by the side of the road like a piece of garbage. The perpetrator is finally caught. I’ll call him Mark. Your Son’s rape, torture and murder was recorded and copies, ready to be shipped, were discovered in Mark’s apartment.

Mark’s parents and friends are in shock. “Mark was such a nice person. He’d never hurt anyone.”

According to God, our Creator, the wrong that we do are crimes committed against Him. After committing adultery and then killing the woman’s husband, King David got it right when he said to God, “Against You and You alone have I sinned.” It’s His objective moral law that we are breaking. It’s His planet, His creation that we are destroying.

Regardless of how we see our crimes against God, He sees our open rebellion against Him as horrific. God sees our callous disregard for and the habitual mistreatment of beings created in His image as worthy of eternal banishment from His presence. The place of banishment is called Hell.

God has made it clear that ritual, religious behaviours, or trying to be as good as we can, will not:
a) Do anything to prevent us from committing crimes against Him, nor
b) Come even close to being a just penalty for crimes already committed.

God has made it clear that claims of, “You shouldn’t punish me because I’m actually a pretty good person,” are nothing more than a delusion. We’ve made it necessary for God’s one and only Son to die, to be tortured to death and pretending that it didn’t happen or that it wasn’t such a big deal isn’t going to cut it. Let me return to my story.

You, Mark’s Judge as well as being Mark’s victim understand Mark. You know that he entered life with the deck stacked against him. Both parents were drug addicts. He suffered Fetal Alcohol brain damage. He never completed grade four and by ten years of age Mark was on the street fending for himself. Mark was also a victim of verbal, physical and sexual abuse. He’s been beaten and discouraged, helpless and hopeless for most of his life. You read his file and your heart breaks. You step down from behind the bench, take off your robe and move toward Mark in an attempt to hug him.
Certain that you hate him and that you’re out for revenge, Mark recoils with, “What are you doing? Get away from me!”

Mark’s Judge - Mark, I too grew up on the street. One of my parents died of a drug overdose and the other died of a suicide. I too was sexually abused. I know the pain, and rejection and confusion and anger that you experienced as a child. I want to forgive you for what you've done to me.

Mark - But I killed your only Son.

Mark’s Judge - I know.

Mark - You should hate me.

Mark’s Judge - I know.

Mark - I deserve to die.

Mark’s Judge - I know.

Mark - I deserve to die at your hands.

Mark’s Judge - I know that Mark. But I want to forgive you.

Mark - Forgive me! I’m a misfit, a freak. Whenever I’ve tried anything in life, I’ve screwed it up. No one will give me a first chance, so why would you give me a second?

Mark’s Judge - I know you. I love you. I’ll help you change.

Mark - I can’t learn.

Mark’s Judge - I’ll teach you. I’m very patient.

Mark - I don’t have any place to live. I’m a castaway. I’ll be hounded from place to place for the rest of my life.

Mark’s Judge - You’ll come and live with me.

Mark - Why are you doing this?

Mark’s Judge - I feel compassion for you. I want to forgive you and let you know what it’s like to live in the presence of love.

Mark - I’m too bad a person. I can’t accept your forgiveness.

Mark’s Judge - Mark, you have committed a very serious crime. You have hurt me more than you can ever imagine. If I were to sentence you to die it would be just and fair. I am offering you a clean slate, forgiveness for your crime, freedom from any and all guilt. It’s one or the other Mark, freedom or judgment. What’s it gonna be?

Mark - This is for real?

Mark’s Judge - Yes. It’s for real.

Mark - So I can experience your love and mercy and grace and forgiveness at absolutely no cost?

Mark’s Judge - Well, it’s free for you, but it cost me the life of my Son.

Falling on his knees before you, Mark cries, “I am so very sorry. How can you be so kind to someone like me? I promise to love you and serve you for the rest of my life. Thank you, thank you, a thousand times thank you.

Mark’s Judge - You’re welcome Mark.

I know. The ending sounds pretty cheesy. You might say that something like that would never happen. If you are talking about life here on earth you are probably right. But God sees things differently than we do. God is shamelessly in love with us, His creation. He cares about us. He wants what’s best for us. He wants that so badly that He came to earth in the form of Jesus to do exactly what is described in the story above. Knowing in advance how we would treat Him, Jesus stepped down from His throne and came to earth not to condemn us but to provide for our forgiveness and salvation.

That God is a God of love is beyond dispute.

He says in effect:
If you will let Me, I will pay the consequence of your crime for you.

If you let Me, I will keep you from eternal banishment and instead bring you into my very own home.

If you let Me, I will lavish you with eternal gifts and riches beyond imagination.

If you let Me, I will die in your place and allow you to live forever in paradise. All you have to do is let me do this for you, accept the deal, take the gift, make it yours.

Now, I ask. Who’s insane? Is it God, for offering to pay your penalty and then declaring you not guilty, or you for refusing to take Him up on the offer?

12 comments:

  1. Now, I ask. Who’s insane? Is it God, for offering to pay your penalty and then declaring you not guilty, or you for refusing to take Him up on the offer?

    Thesauros is insane for asking people who do not believe his Creator God exists why they don't accept an imaginary offer.

    Plus, I am yet again disgusted by what was written in this post as it shows, again, that belief in God is more important than anything else for fundamentalists like Thesauros... believe, or else!

    On a slightly different note:

    ...and allow you to live forever in paradise.

    forever = infinity => conceptual = NOT real

    Just one of the many reasons why I cannot believe such fairy tales in the first place...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If God is all-powerful and all-loving, why does he give me the CHOICE to accept him and his forgiveness? Why doesn't he simply FORCE belief upon me?

    If he wants to forgive me, why give me an 'opportunity' to accept him? Why doesn't he simply 'infuse' me with acceptance? Why this charade? Didn't know God had time to play mind games...

    Powerful enough to create me.... yet not powerful enough to make me believe in him? Think about it for a minute.

    And you wonder why I don't believe in this whole drama of sin/redemption/salvation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If God is all-powerful and all-loving, why does he give me the CHOICE to accept him and his forgiveness? Why doesn't he simply FORCE belief upon me?

    Because he gave you free will...? which would contradict his omniscient/omnipotent nature of course, yet another example of why the Christian Creator God is conceptual, imaginary, a human construct; i.e. it is not real.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mak doesn't understand the problem with free will and god. Let me try to explain it to him again, in a different way.

    Let's give mak the benefit if the doubt and submit that god knows what will happen, and simply got the universe "started". To him, he sees nothing wrong with this. He declares that knowing the future does not compromise free will. I'll give him that, he can have it. But wait! Could god have "started" the universe in a different way? Well if he's all powerful he can "start" the universe any way he wants right?

    Here's where mak gets lost. If god knows everything that will ever happen for each "start" that he can create, then god's role becomes one that selects the sequence as much as the start, BECAUSE he knows what will happen AFTER each potential "start". God would be selecting the sequence that every particle will play out to. It isn't that god simply knows, it's that god is selecting how it will play out based on the initial conditions he chooses. Therefore knowing beforehand not only allows god to choose an initial state but the whole sequence. And if your destiny was gods choice, it was never yours and you therefore were never free. In fact all action would be an extention of "his".

    hopefully that's easier to understand than previous explanations. But I doubt it will do any good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The analogy is flawed. In this story, the Judge does not sacrifice his son in order to Mark's fine. The judge merely forgives Mark and offers to help make him a better person.

    God, on the other hand, blackmails Mark. Long before Mark commits any crime, he's found guilty, and God sacrifices his Son in order to keep Mark under permanent debt. There is no forgiveness in this scenario - the criminal OWES God for the payment of the fine.

    Mark owes the judge nothing.

    The judge is compassionate. God is a mobster...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @WEM

    also, god's son is never sacrificed being that he was resurrected. Jesus went down to earth for a while then went back to heaven, not like real sacrifice. A real sacrifice would be like a soldier giving his mortal life for his country. In the real world there is no coming back, THATS a sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's right, 'Snackbar. On one of the other blogs I frequent, an atheist described it rather well:

    Jesus had a bad weekend for our sins

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stop writing when you're drunk WEM, you won't need to correct typos two times ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've discovered that this blog makes so much more sense when you're drunk. The typing goes straight to Hell though...

    ReplyDelete
  12. >Now, I ask. Who’s insane? Is it God, for offering to pay your penalty and then declaring you not guilty, or you for refusing to take Him up on the offer<

    Whats insane Mak is the judge in this story doesnt even exist,the judge is and invention of man a mere figment of mans ancient mind.Mak your judge could be offering us all double scoop snow cone ice creams too as well!!, to go with all the rest of it.

    But it still will change nothing at all for us.

    And at the end of the day we are still far better off! simply facing up to our problems honestly!.What do we gain? "concocting" some weird and wonderful miraculas story of some maigical being who supposedly figives and forgets everything we do.

    These mythical storys still! dont do anything to help us in facing our problems, they only help us in trying to find ways to excuse ourselves of not honestly facing our problem.

    ReplyDelete