Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Friday, October 15, 2010

The Sceptic Described

Atheists often mock the Bible as being a 2,000 year old book, as though truth had a "Best Before Date." Well, parts of the Bible are far older than 2,000 years but that doesn't matter since the Bible is a book about human nature and human nature is as stable as anything in the universe. If you read below you'll see that Jesus could have been talking to any sceptic living today.

Jesus replied, "You're right that you only have My word. But you can depend on it being true. I know where I've come from and where I go next. You don't know where I'm from or where I'm headed.

You decide according to what you can see and touch. I don't make judgments like that. But even if I did, My judgment would be true because I wouldn't make it out of the narrowness of my experience but in the largeness of the One who sent Me, the Father. That fulfills the conditions set down in God's Law: that you can count on the testimony of two witnesses. And that is what you have: You have My word and you have the word of the Father who sent Me."

Jesus said, "You're tied down to the mundane; I'm in touch with what is beyond your horizons. You live in terms of what you see and touch. I'm living on other terms. I told you that you were missing God in all this. You're at a dead end. If you won't believe I Am who I say I Am, you're at the dead end of sins. You're missing God in your lives."

They said to him, "Just who are you anyway?"

Jesus said, "What I've said from the start. I have so many things to say that concern you, judgments to make that affect you, but if you don't accept the trustworthiness of the One who commanded My words and acts, none of it matters. That is who you are questioning—not Me but the One who sent me."
John 8:14-18, 23-26

No comments:

Post a Comment