Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Friday, August 26, 2011

No Worries!

That’s a sticker on the back of an SUV parked down the block. When I first saw it, I thought it might be some Christian flaunting h/her faith. The people who own the vehicle aren’t Christians, although I have yet to know why they think they shouldn’t worry.

I’ve read many a post where atheists take Matthew 6:25 and accuse Christians of being irresponsible. I know what they mean. When I first realised that these verses and ones like them were commands as surely as “Thou shall not kill,” meaning I need to obey them, well, irresponsible is exactly how I used to feel. Now I just experience a tremendous freedom FROM worry and anxiety but, ya, at first irresponsible is how I felt.

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s might hand, that He may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxieties on Him because He cares about you.” 1 Peter 5:6,7

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus . . . think about such things and the God of peace will be with you.” Philippians 4:8,9

I’ve come to treasure these truths. The quality of life that God’s love and care bring into my life is practically beyond description. When I look back over my life, that worry was a waste of time is an understatement. My Creator loves me. He knows what I need. He promises to provide for my needs. All I need to do is give Him priority in my life. He promises to give me the desires of my heart and what our heart desires the most is an intimate, healed and forgiven relationship with our Creator. That can be ours through the simple decision of repentance. Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment