Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Of Tears and Rainbows

I was with a guy yesterday. A middle-aged man who sobbed tears of sorrow over the loss of his mother to cancer more than ten years ago. He was worried that there was something wrong with him to feel this much pain.

I envied him.

To be able to feel deeply is, I believe, part of the abundant life that Jesus promises to those who follow Him. So many, too many spend their lives numbing themselves. Either through work, or relationships, or mood altering chemicals, a fear of feeling is a common theme in people’s lives. Not so for those whose writings have been included in the Bible.

Did you know that seventy percent of the Psalms are Psalms of lament? David wrote, “Sorrow is better than laughter, for sadness has a refining influence on us.”
A New York Times magazine article entitled Depression's Upside confirms this as it explains that the ventrolateral prefrontal cortex (VLPFC) is the part of our brain that controls what we pay attention to. This area is activated when we are sad.

“Tears are the material out of which heaven weaves its brightest rainbow.”
So wrote G. M. Meyer

I must admit that for a good portion of my life, I too looked for ways to escape my sorrow as quickly as possible. I now know that it is in the depths of sorrow that we ask the most important questions about life.

What’s the point of life?
Why am I here?
Why did God allow / cause this to happen?
How can I help others who have had similar experiences?

“Every night tears drench my bed; my pillow is wet from my weeping.” Ps.6:6
“I am dying from grief. Misery has drained my strength.” Ps. 31:10

The beauty of being in a healed relationship with Jesus is that “we do not grieve as those who have no hope” 1 Thess. 4:13.

For those who have been called according to God’s plan and purpose, sin and evil do not have the last word in our lives.

For those who have rejected the forgiveness offered by Jesus, this life is as good as it gets.

For those who have accepted the forgiveness offered by Jesus, this life is as difficult as it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment