Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Friday, April 12, 2013

I Don't Like “tits”

I had a friend, Ziffle. Atheist to the core. A lot of fun.  I share the following reminiscence.

We're at a party. Standing room only with not only the house but both front an back yards full of people coming and going. Cars lined up down the block and around the corners in both directions. For some reason several members of the University football team are in attendance.
Big Boys.
Really big boys.
I'm in the living room grinning with disbelief as a good looking female seems genuinely enthralled with my bass air guitar. Brian H. sitting on the couch at 12:00, throws his head back in laughter at the sight. I smile back thinking, “I can't help it if I'm lucky.” One of the football players, across the room to my right at 3:00 has taken his shirt off to show a gorgeous girl why he was the right pick for Defensive End. The music was loud, but the sound of a kitchen table with chrome legs sliding, a thump on the floor and a kind of “Whoa” and “Ooo and Ahh” going up from the crowd in the kitchen grabbed my attention. My mood instantly turned supercilious toward any girl who would be enthralled by someone stupid enough to do an air guitar at a party. Spinning on my heal, almost nauseous at the image of me playing an air guitar, I made my way to the kitchen.
There, on the floor was a girl, passed out drunk, flat on her back. The chair she'd been sitting on was being reset, red plastic seat up, legs down. You would be wrong if you thought that the people staring down at the floor were looking only at the passed out girl. For straddling this girl, on his knees, was my friend Ziffle. He'd hiked up her T-shirt (this was in the days when no self-respecting feminist would wear a bra) and – wait for it – he has an ice-cube in each hand and he's rubbing each cube around the tip of each breast – i.e. Nipple. Left hand clockwise. Right hand counter clockwise. More or less in unison. Ziffle's look is one of intense concentration.
Now, if you think this is similar to modern day sexual assaults that make the News every few months, you would be wrong.
First of all there are no cell phones > no pictures. No one is laughing or making fun. Although if I remember correctly there are some smiles and a “get a load of this,” type remark here and there. The reason for this is,
Second, Ziffle is practising medicine.
I'm serious!
This had nothing to do with sex. Well, it only has a little bit to do with sex. Ziffle had read somewhere that rubbing ice cubes on the bosom (or bosoms if you like) of a female who'd been rendered unconscious by copious amounts of alcohol would bring her back to a counscious awareness of people staring at her lying on a floor or sidewalk or some such more or less flat area. “It might even save her life!” says Ziffle to the crowd. “No shit. I read about it.”
It was at about this point where the shirtless and utterly malefic football player shouted, “What are you doing to my girlfriend's tits?”
I've never liked that word. It sounds crude, even rude. Bosom, breasts, chest, on occasion maybe even boobs or knockers. They're all fine. But not – well – you know. Not that one. I don't like the sound of it and I don't think much of those who use it.
After a terrific amount of violence within a remarkably short period of time, we were driving Ziffle to the hospital to mend what looked like, but as it turned out was not a broken jaw or fractured cheek bones. All the way to Emergency he openly grieved his inability to see the profitable results of his medical intervention.
His glasses were never recovered.
Ziffle is now a Social Worker. A Christian. Married with grown children.
Ain't life strange?

No comments:

Post a Comment