Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Monday, April 22, 2013

Look Before You Leap


Have you ever been in a building or room that’s new to you; without any good source of light? I remember as a child I was visiting my cousin on his farm. We were playing in the upper floor or loft of the barn. It was pretty much full of hay bales but enough of them were spread around that it was perfect for chasing each other around. With evening approaching and the lights turned off it was perfect for generating just a little bit of fear. I was running across the floor and jumped over a couple bales, thinking that I would hide behind them. Instead, my feet hit nothing but air and within a second I found myself lying in a manger - on the main floor. I’d gone completely through a hole in the floor that had been put there to push hay down to animals below. The hole, barely bigger than the width of my body, could have inflicted some pretty good bruises had I hit the sides. I never touched a thing. I went straight down into some soft hay and was now looking straight into the eyes of a big black Angus bull. He looked back at me like humans falling out of the sky happened quite regularly. I scrambled to my feet, climbed out of the stall and made a mental note to never jump into the unknown again.
Life is like that. We are strangers on earth, foreigners not knowing which customs are important, which are vulgar or dangerous. That is why the light of the Gospel is so precious. It presents and unfailing guide for any and every situation. In the light of Jesus' purity, the true and dangerous nature of sin is laid out for us to see clearly.
As the saying goes - I know the Sun exists, not because I can see it, but because of the Son, I can see everything else clearly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment