Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Christians and Divorce

It happened again today. For no other reason than the hand of God, a couple that should by all logic be heading for the divorce court has come together in what I know will be a renewal of commitment to their marriage that will not end until one of them dies.

I know what I’m talking about.

As a counsellor I’ve worked with thousands and thousands and thousands of people and I know commitment when I hear it. Not just words, but the real thing, right from the heart - hearts that have both been healed by Jesus the Christ.

Atheists don't seem to hesitate in pointing out the high divorce rate among Christians.

Well, they’re right and it needs to be said.

There is something terribly wrong in the Christian Church (snerk! Like there’s been a time when that wasn’t true) and failed marriages are just one symptom. The thing is, while these people in these failed marriages may attend a Christian Church, to say they are both followers of Jesus is just flat out wrong.

Jesus said, “The one who loves Me is the one who obeys Me.”
In these failed marriages it is guaranteed that at least one of the partners is decidedly NOT obeying Jesus. If they both were, the marriage would not and could not fail.

Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.”
In these failed marriages it is guaranteed that at least one of the partners is decidedly NOT holding to the teaching of Jesus. If they both were, the marriage would not and could not fail.

A good marriage where loving, and I mean really loving each other on a daily basis is present, it is a sure indication of the radical transformation of what Jesus can do in your life. A failed marriage (whether the people go to Church or not) is a sure indication that one or both of the people involved were not followers of Jesus.

4 comments:

  1. people with simple minds have simple views

    christians... good....
    non-christians... bad...

    me is be christian, me love jesus.
    you not like jesus? u evil, u sin, u bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where in ANYTHING that I've written over the last four years have I EVER suggested that non-Chistians were worse people than are Christians?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem to take as much time to reply to stupid Anonymous comments than you do to more thoughtful ones... that Anonymous commenter was funny by the way.

    This makes me think of a question... do you like jokes about Christians/Christianity? do you enjoy getting laughed at when it's really just a joke, not to denigrate or insult you personally?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm quite capable of laughing at myself or Christians / Christianity in general.

    I admit that from the outside we look and act like a sad comedy. We inadvertently provide a lot of material for humour. I've found that being laughed at is somewhat better than being hated.

    If you get the chance, (larknews.com) get the book "A Guide to Evangelicals and Their Habitat." Pretty funny stuff.

    ReplyDelete