Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I Was Made For This

“Those who have abandoned themselves to God always lead mysterious lives and receive from Him exceptional and miraculous gifts by means of the ordinary, natural and chance experiences in which there appears to be nothing unusual. The simplest sermon, the most banal conversations, the least erudite books become a source of knowledge and wisdom to these souls by virtue of God’s purpose. This is why they carefully pick up the crumbs which clever minds tread under foot, for to them everything is precious and a source of enrichment.”
Jean-Pierre De Causade - “The Sacrament Present Moment

I’ve got a God story. It’s for those who have encountered their Creator and Saviour even in the most benign, mundane aspects of life.

There’s a family in our town. Their last name is Cowly.
Mom - Corinne,
Kids - Cody and Kaila and
Dad - hmm - dad - you see - that’s the problem.

All their names begin with a hard C sound so it should be fairly easy to remember. About a month ago I started wondering what the dad’s name was and for the life of me I could not remember. I mean, I know this guy. My kid plays on the same hockey team as his kid. We speak to each other at the rink. I’ve used his name numerous times over the last two or three years.

I thought, “Oh, well. No big deal. It’s not like I need to know. I don’t even remember why I wanted to know. Who cares if I remember or not? The name will come to me eventually.”

But it didn’t come. Every few days, for no known or good reason, I’d try to think of the guy’s name and I just couldn’t bring it up.

“Wyatt,” I asked my son, “what’s Cody’s dad’s name?”
“I dunno.”
“Well he’s in your class. Doesn’t he ever talk about his dad?”
“He just calls him dad.”

Grrr

One day I’m out tinkering with the lawn mower and I wonder about his name.
‘Go look in the phone book’ I think to myself.
‘Ya, but then I’d have to quit what I’m doing and walk all the way into the house. It’s not that big a deal.’

Another day I’m lying in bed at 4:30am and I wonder about his name.
‘Go look in the phone book.’
‘Ya, but the hall floor creaks and I’d wake everybody up. It’s not that big a deal.’

Still another day we’re driving to the store.
“Wendy, what’s Corinne’s husband’s name?”
“I don’t know. She sure is a nice person. And their kids are such characters. Cody is such a little gentleman. I think the girl . . . .

Oh crap! Now look what I’ve started!’ That goes on for the next 25 blocks with no expectation of receiving the guy’s name any time soon.


For a month now this guy has been popping into my mind and I CANNOT remember his name. It’s starting to become a big deal. One day I even say to my brain, “THIS is what you were made for! Remembering stuff is what you’re supposed to do! What is this guy’s name?”

PAUSE

SILENCE

LISTENING INTENTLY . . .

NOTHING!

It seems that any and all files containing this guy’s name have been deleted from my brain. The recycle bin has been emptied.

Of course when I’m in the kitchen and close to the phonebook the question of this guy’s name never enters my mind. Only when I’m somewhere else.

And then early this morning, again 4:30, I’m lying there trying to think of the guy’s name. And in that twilight between sleep and awake the thought comes, “Ask God.”

‘Mm Naw. I’m not going to bother Him with something stupid like this.’

“Ask Me.”

“What?”

“Ask Me.”

LONG PAUSE

“Hmm, this is weird.”

“Ask Me.”

“Um, ok. What is Cody’s . . .”

I stop.
Doubts creep in.
What if I ask and nothing comes back?

“Ask Me.”

(((Sigh)))

“So, Lord, What is Cody’s dad’s name?”

And as softly as soft can be. Softer than a pillow. Softer than a cloud. Softer than an unrolled pile of Charmin. More soft and rich and clear than the greatest sound-man on the planet could create, came the name, “Cory.”

Yes! Cory! Of course! His name is Cory. I knew that!”

‘Cept I didn’t know that. It was gone, gone - way long gone.

Thank you Lord!

And my head turns into the pillow and I know what Peter was feeling after he pulled up the overloaded net of fish. Realising he was in the presence of God, Peter said, “Go away from me Lord for I am a sinful man.”

“I did this for you Rod. I love you. I want you to know that I exist.”

And I go to sleep thinking with a smile,
“I was MADE for this moment!
This moment was MADE for me.”


Thank you Lord Jesus.

6 comments:

  1. All you did is ping your sub-consciousness. By "asking God", you change the state of your own mind, start thinking differently, and new ideas come in. I am not judging you, I know it's real... it happens to me all the time!

    The fact that your reaction was "Yes! Cory! Of course!" shows that you already knew the answer; your consciousness had simply discarded as useless information, but as soon as it came back, you knew it was correct. If it had been completely new info, you would have been passive to it and would have needed confirmation before being convinced it was accurate.

    The mind is a very complex thing that nobody fully understands, so by "asking God", it is entirely possible that you simply grabbed more ancient memories that the sub-consciousness still had stored "somewhere".

    Again, I assure you that what you just described happens to me on a regular basis so I am not judging the veracity of the story, just the interpretation, because I do "talk" with "God" on various occasions. It helps me reason, think, have a different outlook on life, analyze problems and solve complicated issues that I feel I could not approach otherwise.

    NewScientist has an article about our "Inner voice" this week and how listening to it can help us be smarter. I have yet to read it because that's only what the cover page says... perhaps I should tell you more later if you're interested...

    However, if you are convinced that you talk with God, literally, why don't you ask Him what my mother's full name is? She prays to Him every single night so it should be easy; they have a strong bound I guess. I don't want to be insulting... quite the opposite, since THAT would honestly be a good reason for me to consider that brand new information can be acquired this way! Until then, I remain unconvinced that your prayer to God was anything else than your inner voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I remain unconvinced that your prayer to God was anything else than your inner voice."

    Ah, pitty. If only you'd read the first line - "It’s for those who have encountered their Creator and Saviour even in the most benign, mundane aspects of life." You could have skipped the article and saved a lot of typing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So your god want's you to know some guys name is Corey, but yet he wouldn't give tinkers damn about some child starving to death somewhere else on the planet.

    Quit calling me a troll, you self-righteous asshole!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, pitty. If only you'd read the first line - "It’s for those who have encountered their Creator and Saviour even in the most benign, mundane aspects of life." You could have skipped the article and saved a lot of typing :)

    Yep I had noticed that line, but I thought it would be interesting to point to you why it is... hum, sorry but I don't have a polite way to say it... it is bullshit. We all have inner voices, you talk to other God believers because it's convenient since they will also think that it's God's voice.

    Anyway, you like to skip over the points I make; this is not new, and it tells a lot about your delusions. I'm glad that these faith-base beliefs don't seem to have a negative impact. Actually, as I said before, for you they seem to have a very positive effect so I want to insist on that.

    If God tells you my mother's name let me know! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, well, I can see how you'd think it was bull.

    A friend of ours was complaining to her doctor about feeling sick and how she'd always been such a healthy person and he said, "Well, we're all healthy until we get sick."

    The same applies hear. We all think the idea of Creator God is bullshit until He comes to meet us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all think the idea of Creator God is bullshit until He comes to meet us.

    No no, you did not get it, you jumped from one point to the wrong conclusion.

    The "bullshit" part is only that you claim to hear God,
    when what you describe is much simpler... a common inner voice.

    ReplyDelete