Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Extravagant Love!

This series gives real life examples of where our Creator shows us how to love extravagantly.

In like manner we are told to give our lives away, to die to self.

The example of Jesus of Nazareth, our Creator, is to love extravagantly.

Looking for loopholes. That’s what I hear so often from both husbands and wives. Excuses. Reasons to not love. One that I hear more from men than from women is this one. ‘I can’t help you clean up the kitchen because I’m praying, or I’m reading the Bible.’

That kind of selfish behaviour is wrong on so many levels. The first level is, that is not how Jesus loves us. It’s true, we CAN learn about God from reading the Bible and praying. However He will reveal much more about Himself to us when we show a willingness to die to self for the good of someone else.

“So this is my prayer: that your love will flourish and that you will not only love much but well. Learn to love appropriately. You need to use your head and test your feelings so that your love is sincere and intelligent, not sentimental gush. Live a lover's life, circumspect and exemplary, a life Jesus will be proud of: bountiful in fruits from the soul, making Jesus Christ attractive to all, getting everyone involved in the glory and praise of God. From Paul’s letter to the Christians in Philipi 1:9-11

Isaiah 30:15, 18 - In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength. Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!

THIS is love!

4 comments:

  1. "That kind of selfish behaviour is wrong on so many levels... He will reveal much more about Himself to us when we show a willingness to die to self for the good of someone else."

    Funny one for you tonight...

    IF that someone else wants you to give her 3 orgasms before going to bed; should you say no because you are not yet married?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Hugo - dear Hugo - you settle for so little.

    Like C. S. Lewis said, "You play in mud puddles in the ally because you don't know that a pacific island paradise could be yours for the asking."

    Do you know how many women I've had sex with?

    No, neither do I.

    But this I do know, sexual intimacy within the bounds of a Christian marriage is such that you could never pay me enough to go back.

    Sexual intimacy within the bounds of a Christian marriage is so far superior to what you are giggling about tonight that I wish - I truly wish that I'd never taken part in it before I was married.

    Sadly, all you'll ever know is what you've got. So go and enjoy it Hugo. For you, this is as good as it gets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya, I know your were asshole who slept with as many women as he could before. That's your problem, your remorse, not mine.

    Without going into too much details, I'd like to contrast my 20s with yours. I've been with the same girl for most of my adult life, then, we split for complicated family reasons and remained great friends.

    During the celibacy time, I met very few girls and slept with even less. It did not go pretty well anyway because sex without love is just not the same.

    Finally I randomly met a lady who I connected with. We got to know each other mentally way before we got to physical contacts. Actually, it took a while before we even met in person.

    It did not take long after seeing each other for us to not be able to leave each other. We have spent most of our days together since then and we slept (as in sleep, not sex) together way before we did had sex.

    It improved from time to time, with variations, a lot of mutual respect and pleasure. Each time we are both surprise as how good it feel to be with each other, and we can see how it can only get better.

    I feel extremely lucky to be living with such a person that come complement such an happy and diversified life up to now.

    Yes, I did some bad things, but I do not have any major regrets yet.

    Perhaps this is why someone like you needs religion, to try to compensate for the mistakes of the past. You acted badly, you know it, and now you can only repent, but it's impossible to undo the number of sexual encounters you cannot even count, just to name that one...

    Thankfully you did find Jesus and turned out to be someone who cares for children, love his wife, and want to put forward the respect of good values (even if I don't agree with all of them, I fully recognize the intentions).

    People like you do need religion to give meaning and order to their lives. What you lack in self-control you were able to find it later on in life through a relationship with Jesus, your model of perfectness.

    Oh, and my comment was just meant to be a light joke; whether it's true or not should not have even been considered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The relationship with another man I find somewhat revolting!

    ReplyDelete