Store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven
where moth and rust cannot destroy and thieves cannot break in and steal

Monday, September 27, 2010

Extravagant Love!

This series, which began a couple months ago gives real life examples of where our Creator shows us how to love extravagantly.

In like manner we are told to give our lives away, to die to self.

The example of Jesus of Nazareth, our Creator, is to love extravagantly.

The Bible talks about God healing the “brokenhearted.” This is not some trite phrase describing someone who is sad or blue. The term “heart” as it’s used in the Bible describes the essence of humanity. It means our soul. It’s who we are at our core and at our core we are broken - literally. Jesus came to heal our heart and make us fully alive.

“You lead me to peaceful places. You restore my soul.” Psalm 23:1

“He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.” Psalm 147:3

“Heal me, O LORD, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise.” Jeremiah 17:14

“A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. In faithfulness he will bring forth justice;” Isaiah 42:3

My point is this. We cannot love, we will not love extravagantly when we are still clutching and protecting our own broken hearts. We need to ask Jesus for healing, in all areas, “And then take on an entirely new way of life—a God-fashioned life, a life renewed from the inside and working itself into your conduct as God accurately reproduces His character in you.” From Paul’s letter to the Ephesian Christians 4:24

We must love others as God first loved us.

Habakkuk 3:17-18 - Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Saviour.

THIS is love!

No comments:

Post a Comment